Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Reading Autobiography

To start things off, I would like to consider myself an avid reader. I read all types of literature from science fiction all the way to biographies and everything in between, but it this wasn't always the case. I began to read at an early age mostly because my parents wanted me to become an intelligent individual. However, I would like to think that the teenage rebellion phase set in much earlier for me and I went against my parent's wishes from an early age as well. When I was younger I could never see the value in books, I'd like to think this is so because I grew up in the technological age where video games and television dominate the entertainment market, and I always associated books with boredom. My mother and father always saw that I would rather play mindless video games than read a good book, and up until the beginning of my sophomore year at Homestead, this was indeed the case. At the beginning of my sophomore year, I began to see the value in picking up a good book and reading it for a couple of hours. Earlier, in my freshman year, I was one of two people to test into the Sophomore block program here at Homestead which signaled the necessity for a solid reading base, which in my case, was non existent. Throughout my sophomore year we read around 6 books, which doesn't seem like a lot but in my case it was, and this sparked my new lifelong journey for the search of new and invigorating literature. Now, I read for fun and for school. One of my favorite things to read is poetry, Alfred Lord Tennyson is, in my mind, a master of the English language, is one of my favorite poets. Reading poetry is a way to unlocking the hearts secrets and, in the process of reading it, a way to find out more about yourself. If I could read more, which I plan on doing, I would like to read more modern and contemporary poetry, dating around the post World War II era, and before the post-modernist movement. This is where I would like to spend my time reading and analyzing. Well, this is my first post and a little about my reading Autobiography. This is Steven Colbert Jr, signing off.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh. I wish i could find that value of picking up a good book. Still looking for it.

    ReplyDelete